Seeking a Senior Engineer to be the project manager & team lead for a group of engineers & technicians for railroad vehicle-track interaction projects. The projects are related to rail vehicle dynamics, track dynamics, and vehicle-track interaction. This position provides industry leadership and professional engineering and scientific services to internal and external customers – including staff coordination, budgets, and technical issues.
- Leadership & project management for projects involving multi-body dynamics, rail vehicle dynamics, vehicle-track interaction, wheel-rail contact, and longitudinal train action.
- Oversee and lead mathematical modeling & simulations, laboratory & field-testing – including preparing proposals, analysis & test plans, data analysis, and report writing.
- Participate and contribute to the development of team’s suite of scientific software including development & programming of algorithms.
- Provide advice and support to internal committees on issues related to rail vehicle dynamics and vehicle-track interaction.
- Assume technical responsibility for assigned projects and provide technical leadership to subordinate staff and subcontractors
- Monitor and direct assigned research and test projects and perform theoretical analyses and data analyses for assigned projects.
- Responsible for quality, timeliness and budget of assigned projects, including the work of subordinate staff and subcontractors.
- Responsible for preparation of research and test plans, technical evaluations and proposals, including budget estimates and schedules.
- Responsible for preparation of reports and technical presentations of assigned projects.
- Prepare and present technical papers reflecting the technical accomplishments to external professional societies and industry groups.
- Conduct and direct on-site and offsite field testing both on-board vehicles and wayside
- Responsible for development of new testing and/or analytical techniques and provide technical leadership in this area.
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or related engineering field
- 10 years of experience applying engineering principles, or equivalent experience & education
- Experience using recognized multi-body dynamics and/or vehicle-track interaction simulation software & modeling of dynamic systems
- Experience in design of experiments, conducting tests, data collection methods, data analysis methods, authoring technical papers/reports, and making technical presentations
- Experience developing algorithms for scientific software
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated experience with analysis and testing of wheel/rail contact mechanics, rail vehicle dynamics, and/or vehicle-track interaction.
- Proficient in the use of rail vehicle/track interaction software such as NUCARS, Simpack, or Vampire.
- Proficient in the use of longitudinal train action software such as TOESTM or TEDS.
- Proficient in scientific programming in Matlab, Visual Basic, C, C++, C# and Fortran.
- Experience in strength and fatigue analysis and testing, with capability in the use of FEA software such as ANSYS or LS-Dyna.
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD, Solidworks, and Minitab software.
- Proficient in the application of statistical analysis methods.