Seeking a Senior Systems Engineer with prior experience in train controls, railroad operations, or signaling systems. Ideal candidate has work experience from railroad signaling & controls.
Seeking someone with previous experience in advanced train control technology, positive train control systems, and conventional railroad signaling technologies.
Project management, technical oversight and engineering support of research, testing, technology development and consulting projects for internal and external customers in the areas of railroad communications and train control. Projectsl include application of engineering principles to operations and train control related railroad research initiatives, in particular as related to Positive Train Control (PTC) systems.
Also includes testing of new systems and components; identifying, analyzing and developing solutions for issues related to implementation of train control and related systems; development of methods for solving critical issues related to PTC; analyzing operational impacts; leveraging existing infrastructure for new applications; and similar activities.
Assignments may include supporting presentations with technical committees and/or conducting training sessions and activities. The Principal Investigator may be asked to provide support for projects relating to PTC interoperability, troubleshooting, monitoring, system reliability, lifecycle management, testing, and other similar areas.
Assignments may also include, depending on project requirements, providing project-specific technical leadership to as many as (10) engineers and/or technicians. The successful candidate is expected to participate in all phases of projects to include proposal preparation; project planning; risk assessment; budget and schedule management; project resource assignments; technical and research activities; data analysis; test planning; test support; and preparation of technical reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, or similar
- 10+ years of experience in train control and/or railroad operations
- Experience working with design, development, testing and/or operation of PTC systems and concepts, particularly the Interoperable Train Control (ITC) system
- Strong understanding of conventional train control systems, concepts, and products
- Experience leading technical teams and/or project management
- Excellent verbal and written communication along with demonstrable analytical and presentation skills; capable of preparing and delivering technical presentations to scientific groups; strong interpersonal and communication skills with internal engineering teams and customers/stakeholders
- Advanced degree in Engineering (MS or PhD)
- Experience in development of formal systems engineering documentation
- Experience developing test cases for verification against requirements, including traceability
- Experience with risk analysis, including techniques such as FTA and FMEA
- Familiarity with cybersecurity concepts, practices, and tools
- Familiarity with safety-related or safety critical concepts and/or familiarity with fail-safe system design concepts
- Experience with reliability, availability and maintainability (RAM) design and analysis concepts
- Experience working with engineering projects related to RF data communication systems and application-to-application data communication protocols