Seeking a Controller for a full-time/perm position in downtown Denver.
This is not a remote position. This is an in-office position. Must be US Citizen/Green Card Holder.
Salary range: $125,000 to $200,000
Objectives of this Role
• Provide comprehensive financial updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points
• Oversee the three staff member responsible for invoicing and Accounts Payable.
• Actively manage accounts receivables monitoring outstanding invoices and communicating with our clients to facilitate timely payments
• Interface with our Project Managers to develop forecasts for invoices, report on project specific profitability and train them on financial management
• Implement and develop quality control systems to insure accuracy in our accounting systems
• Be an effective communicator dealing with our clients, bankers, CPA’s, suppliers and our staff.
• Guide financial decisions by applying company policies and procedures to current economic landscape
• Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines
• Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action
• Maximize payroll efficiency through innovative process development
• Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
• Interface with the bank to check overnight activity and monitor incoming wires, our credit lines and account balances
• Review work plans and assignments for Junior staff
• Oversee time sheet entries which are done by both the staff and the administrative personnel, review those for accuracy and ensure they are correctly entered into the Quickbooks accounting system.
• Oversee employee expense accounts. Staff and the administrative staff prepare these. All expenses must be classified as reimbursable (in which case they are invoiced to our clients) or non-reimbursable. They must follow guidelines which are oftentimes project specific. Review those for accuracy and ensure they are correctly entered into the Quickbooks accounting system.
• Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans, and government contracts
• Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures
• The controller will be responsible for working with our payroll vendor
• The controller will have insurance responsibilities that include working with our broker and our staff regarding health, dental and vision policies, our professional liability policy and our general staff/office policies
• Taxes, state, federal, international
• Accounts Payable
• Negotiations with suppliers for best pricing and payment terms
• Managing office leases
• Interfacing with the firm principals for advancement of their financial positions
• Management of the pension fund/401k program
• In conjunction with Senior Management, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on a bi-weekly, monthly, and annual basis
• Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation
• Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
• Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity
Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field
• 10+ years proven accounting experience
• Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
• Strong understanding of economic and banking processes
• 5+ years experience as a senior-level accounting or finance manager
• Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis
• Proven payroll experience, with a focus on streamlining accounting processes
• Exemplary history of financial project management
• Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting
• Experience using Deltek accounting software a plus